Thursday, November 12, 2009

Pho!


My fiance was feeling sick and requested pho for dinner tonight.

Pho originated in Northern Vietnam. It is a beef broth based noodle soup. Mostly eaten as a lunch item in Vietnam. It's also a GREAT hangover food!

The following recipe is the easiest pho recipe that I know, and its delicious! My fiance thinks that its one of the best pho that he's ever eaten (and he's not biased... or so he tells me!).

You will need the following:







* 1 container of pho soup base
* fresh pho noodles (in the egg noodles aisle)
* rock sugar
* beef or chicken bones
* salt and pepper to taste
* pre roasted chicken (shredded) - used because I was feeling lazy. Usually I would make the broth with a whole chicken and simmer for 3 hours and shred the meat of the chicken after. You can use beef, tripe, tendons, meatballs, or tofu instead of chicken. I just like chicken pho.
* sirracha
* hoison sauce
* bean sprouts
* basil
* lime


You will need to make the broth first, which takes about 2 hours to make. Start off with boiling some water in a big soup pot (the amount of water used is the amount of broth that is needed to serve). For my boyfriend and I for dinner tonight, I used around 20 cups of water. When the water starts to boil, add in the beef or chicken bones. Most Asian supermarkets offer bones for customers to take home and make broth with. For 20 cups of water, I used 3 large beef bones (the more bones you put in, the more flavor the broth will contain). I then add 4 table spoons of rock sugar, and 1 table spoon of salt. I let the broth simmer for 2 hours, covered on low heat. When 2 hours has simmered by, add about 1/4 of the pho soup base into the broth and let simmer for an additional 5 minutes.

When it nears serving time, put another pot of water to a boil. Dip the fresh pho noodles in the water for about 5 secs and then put it in individual serving bowls. Add the shredded chicken, bean sprouts, basil, a squeeze of lime, and siracha and hoison sauce to taste.




Enjoy!

No comments: